Spring/Summer Gear List
- Pack: Six Moons Designs- SwiftPack weight- 15 ounces
- Weight – 13 ounces
- Hammock Tarp: AHE Toxaway
Weight- 17 ounces
- Top Quilt JacksRBetter 40 degree 14.8 ounces
- Under quilt AHE JarBridge 40 Degree 14.7 ounces
- Tree straps 3.1 ounces
- Toggles .2 ounces
- Tarp Stakes 1.2 ounces
- Cuben Fiber stake bag .1 ounces
- Zpacks pack liner 1.9 ounces
- Columbia Long sleeve tshirt 7 ounces
- Columbia silverridge pants 11.1 ounces
- Darn tuff ankle socks 2.4 ounces
- No undergarments…. I go commando!
2. In pack
- Darn tuff socks 2.4 ounces
- Darn tuff socks 2.4 ounces
- Exofficio tshirt 5.6 ounces
- Cuben fiber stuff sack .2 ounces
- Lukes Ultralight Rain Jacket 5.5 oz
- DIY fosters pot/ alky stove 1.8oz
- Toaks Ti spoon .6 oz
- Sawyer squeeze mini 1.9 ounces
- Smartwater bottle x2 2.2 ounces
- Sawyer squeeze bag 1.8 ounces
- travel tooth brush .8 ounces
- Dr. Bronners Soap 1. ounces
- Toilet paper .4 ounces
- Stripped down adventure medical kit 2 ounces
- Salomons and Dirty Girl Gaiters (not Shown) 33.3 ounces
- Leki Corklites w/ spare gorilla tape 19.6 ounces
- Iphone 5.9 ounces
- Jackery Giant 11.1 ounces….only bring on trips more that 2 days.
- Leatherman PS4 squirt 2 ounces
- Half of light load towel .2 ounces
- Bug juice1 ounces
- Head net 1 ounces
- Zpacks food bag / loksack 4.1oz
- Bear Bag throw line 1.4oz
Total Base Weight 178.2 ounces or 11 pounds
Total Weight worn 46 ounces or 2.8 pounds.
Contents change depending on trip and area hiking.
Yesterday, I recieved my long awaited quilt from @enlightenedequipment . I ordered my Enigma quilt, from @trailandera. I purchased this quilt, because I was tired of freezing my tail off while, hiking on colder trips. My 30 degree quilt wasn’t cutting it, when temps dipped down to the teens. So I ordered a enlighted equipment enigma quilt.
Specs of the Enigma Quilt
- 800 DownTek GDD
- Rated 10 degree
- Reg length
- Reg width
- Black 10D nylon (inside)
- Olive 20D nylon (outside)
- Quilt storage bag 2.3 oz
- Quilt stuff sack .7oz
- Quit attaching straps for pads .8 oz
- Weight of bag 23.6 oz
My initial impressions of this quilt went over and above in quality. I was blown away with the superior craftsmanship and attention to detail on this quilt. Their are no flaws in the stitching of the quilt and the construction. Before I purchased this quilt, I read every review I possibly could. After getting my hands on this quilt, I’m not disappointed at all. I plan on putting this quilt to good use this winter. When my testing is complete, I will do a complete review.
Let me talk about @trailandera whom I purchased the quilt from. Trailandera’s customer service, is definitely there for the consumer. They really valued my business and when I had questions about my order it was answered immidiatley. When the order was fulfilled I recieved a personal email letting me know the current status of my order. I truly value excellent customer service in a business and I will be a customer for life!
Note: I’m not an employee nor am I an Ambassador for @trailandera or @enlightenedequipment just a very satisfied customer.
Thanks for Reading!
This past March, I had a month long business trip to Virginia. Before I left home I decided to bring my hiking gear along on my trip. During my trip I was able to hike different sections of the A.T. and various trails located in the Shenandoah N.P. But one hike I completed stands out the most in my mind. My hike up Old Rag Mountain.
Old Rag Mountain is located in the eastern portion of the Shenandoah N.P. and is a popular destination at the park. Old Rag’s exposed rocky summit stands at an elevation of 3,291 ft. and is quite a bit different than other summits in the park. Old Rag offers a 9 mile circuit hike or a 5.4 mile out-and-back hike. Inexpieranced hikers, be aware that portions of this trail can be very strenuous. You will, hike to a false summit and from this point the trail turns into a rock scramble. On your way to the summit you will expierance splitter cracks, dihedrals, crystal pinching slabs and bouldering. The difficulty level ranges from beginner to expert (5.4 to 5.12 on the Yosemite Decimal system) till you reach the summit. For a easier hike up Old Rag, park your vehicle at the parking area at the end of Va.600. Then follow Berry Hollow Fire Rd to the Saddle Trail and straight up Old Rag. I recommend this trail for the Hiker that wants amazing views but not the amazing work out.
What to pack and times to go? I suggest you bring ample water, snacks and a light pack. Make sure you bring your camera; Old Rag has truely amazing views worth remembering. This hike can be done with larger packs, but it’s not necessary. But if you choose to, make sure you have cordage to lower or retrieve your pack. Hit the trail early, crowding on the trail can be crazy at times. I hit the trail at 7:00 am and had no issues at all. Weather on Old Rag can make conditions on the trail very risky, so make sure you plan accordingly.
I thoroughly enjoyed the 9 mile circuit hike on Old Rag Mountain. It only took a few hours to complete and the views are amazing. So, if you’re a thru-hiker on the A.T. or just visiting Shenandoah N.P. You gotta check out Old Rag Mountain.